Legal DNA tests require a strict chain-of-custody sample collection procedure in order for the test report to be legally admissible.
To prepare for your legal DNA sample collection appointment, please review the instructions listed below. If you do not follow all the instructions, you may be required to reschedule your DNA swab collection appointment (additional fees will apply).
- You must bring 2 pieces of valid identification (ID)*. One must be a government-issued photo ID (e.g. driver’s license, passport), and the second must, at minimum, have the individual’s full name (e.g. birth certificate, credit card).
- You must bring 1 printed passport-sized color photo. The photo must be clear and show your face in full. The photo will be attached to your sample documents for processing and will not be returned to you.
- Do not put anything into your mouth for at least 1 HOUR before your appointment. That means do not eat, drink, smoke, chew gum, or have any objects in the mouth (e.g. soothers/toys).
- You must provide at least 48 hours notice to the laboratory if you need to reschedule or cancel your appointment. If you do not provide at least 48 hours notice of rescheduling or cancellation, a rebooking fee will apply before the laboratory can reschedule your appointment.
* Minors must be accompanied to the sample collection appointment by the minor's legal guardian. Minors may bring 1 piece of ID (e.g. birth certificate, passport), and the minor’s legal guardian must bring one piece of photo ID.